Get national recognition for your community
SolSmart is a national recognition and a no-cost technical assistance program for local governments designed to drive greater solar deployment and help make it possible for even more American homes and businesses to access affordable and renewable solar energy to meet their electricity needs.
SolSmart designation, coupled with robust and agile technical assistance, will spur communities across the country to earn recognition for achievements that distinguish them from their peers as they become more solar-friendly. In doing so, communities will ignite local solar markets while establishing consistency in solar practices across the country.
SolSmart is funded by the U.S. Department of Energy SunShot Initiative and supports its goal of making it faster, cheaper, and easier to go solar.
SolSmart designation achieved through taking action to address solar soft costs and foster local solar market growth can deliver a number of benefits to local governments and their stakeholders:
- Reducing soft costs can increase return on investment for solar customers. Complex or poorly-defined local government processes can add up to $2,500 to the cost of going solar.
- Eliminating red tape and making approval processes more efficient can save local governments time and money, helping communities better manage constrained budgets and limited taxpayer resources.
- Improving local processes for going solar can improve business prospects for solar companies. More than one-third of solar installation companies say they avoid serving communities because of permitting difficulties.
- National recognition through the SolSmart website, media campaign mentions, and other means.
- An opportunity to receive awards for exceeding basic program requirements and further distinguishing your community from its peers.
- The opportunity to host a SolSmart Advisor, fully-funded, experienced staff recruited to help communities achieve designation. Advisors will work within 30 communities for engagements lasting up to six months.